Akai Professional (www.akaipro.com) creator of the critically acclaimed Virtual Instrument Player software — the only software that enables musicians to catalogue, control and map their entire VST instrument and effect library directly from their keyboard — today announced VIP 3.1, a pivotal update providing users of Akai Professional, M-Audio and Alesis Controllers with an all new feature set for liberated, immersive performance capability and an enhanced production workflow.
VIP 3.1 revolutionises the hardware/software experience and provides musicians and producers with unparalleled access to their VST virtual instrument and effect collection. The combination of VIP 3.1 and a compliant controller maximises workflow and ensures a natural, creative playing experience that fuses the tactile feel of hardware with the unrivalled processing capability of virtual Instruments.
With the introduction of VIP 3.0 in September 2017, users were provided with a universal capability update alongside a series of pre-built controller mappings for Akai Professional, M-Audio and Alesis keyboards to drastically enhance the creative capability of any standard MIDI over USB controller. Now with VIP 3.1, new MIDI controller mappings have been introduced to include Akai Professional’s MPD2 Series, the Alesis VI Series, the Alesis V-Mini and the Alesis V49 – new and existing customers for this range of controllers can now enjoy the benefits of VIP 3.1 as a paid upgrade of $29 for VIP Standard and $49 for VIP Plus (includes VIP 3.1 and Hybrid 3, The Creative FX Collection, Vacuum Pro, Loom, Xpand!2 from leading software developer AIR Music Tech).
VIP 3.1 is currently free for new and existing customers of Akai Professional’s MPK88, MPK2 Series, MPK Mini MKII & APC Key 25, M-Audio’s CODE Series, Oxygen Series & Axiom AIR Mini 32, and Alesis’ VX49.
Other notable new features in VIP 3.1 include:
- Macros – Now Each knob or button in the Multi tab of Control View can now control up to eight individual parameters
- MIDI Filter – Each part in a multi can now filter incoming MIDI data – for example, using the MIDI Filter users can now filter out the pitch bend and modulation messages from the piano part, and filter out the sustain pedal message from the lead part
- Advanced Routing Capability – Now users can globally remap VIP’s virtual audio outputs to a different set of physical outputs
- Setlist Enhancements – Now songs in a setlist can have a pre-designated BPM
- Velocity Ranges – Users can now configure parts in a Multi to have different velocity ranges
- Replace Patch – Users can now save edits made to an existing patch using the Replace Patch option
- Mackie Control Support – The standalone application now supports control of Level, Pan, Mute, Solo and Part Selection via the Mackie Control protocol
VIP 3.1 Highlights
- Plays virtually every VST-compatible plugin and effects unit
- Operates as a standalone virtual instrument and effects player or as a plugin within any AU, VST or AAX compatible DAW
- Organises user’s plugin collection with intuitive browsing by plugin, artist collection, instrument type, timbre and more
- Includes an Effects Browser allowing users to browse effects by type and audition across multiple plugins with a single click
- Access, edit and mix up to 8 virtual instruments at one time in a Multi
- Expanded Multi mixer includes insert effects, send effects, bus tracks and a master output channel strip for total routing control
- Effects Stacks combine multiple effects into re-usable patches, accessible in the patch list for easy selection and auditioning
- VIPMS – The Native Plugin Map Standard allows 3rd party virtual instrument and effect developers to produce their own plugin maps for enhanced VIP integration and opening their plugins to the superior workflow
- MIDI Learn functionality seamlessly maps the controls of any VIP-compatible keyboard (knobs, encoders, faders, buttons) to VIP’s parameters with a ever-growing library of MIDI controller mappings for Akai and M-Audio controller keyboards included
- Pad Chord Progressions – play factory or user defined chord progressions using a VIP-enabled keyboard controller’s pads
- Key Control modes: play scales, harmonized chords or chord progressions from a VIP keyboard or MIDI keyboard.